Rugby reacts to the proposed under 18 tackling ban

first_imgMore than 70 doctors and academics have called for a ban on tackling in rugby matches played in UK and Irish schools. The proposals have caused a stir in rugby circles so we take a look at the views of players, coaches and medical professionals in the debate LATEST RUGBY WORLD MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION DEALS https://twitter.com/JonThom82/status/704952743383928832 Allyson Pollock, Professor of Public Health Research and Policy, has written an open letter to UK and Irish Government Ministers calling for a ban on tackling in rugby matches played in UK and Irish schools.Over 70 academics, doctors, and public health professionals have signed the letter which calls for a ban of the collision elements of rugby within school systems, so that children play touch and non-contact rugby.The letter states that there is evidence showing a 28% risk of injury for a child rugby player over a season but critics claim that when taken in context of other sports and activities rugby is actually a relatively safe sport.The rugby community has reacted strongly to this proposal and we have published the views of current and former players, as well as coaches and scientists on both sides of the debate.We give our thoughts on the debate in our latest Podcast so have a listen and be sure to let us know what you think on Twitter and Facebook. Perspective needed on kids rugby.Rugby shapes lives,promotes activity. Injuries minimal+proportionate to other sports #RugbyBuildsCharacter— Brett Gosper (@brettgosper) March 2, 2016last_img read more

Non-profit.com domain name up for sale

first_img Tagged with: Digital Howard Lake | 13 January 2004 | News Did you miss the chance to create the definitive charity portal? A couple of handy domain names are now up for auction on eBay.com.The domain names non-profit.com and non-profit.net are both up for grabs on eBay. The seller wants at least $2000 for them, but in the six days since the lots appeared on the site there haven’t been any bids.They could be handy domain names for someone wishing to break into the North American or international charity market, but the hyphen in the middle somewhat reduces their value. The owner of the non-hyphenated nonprofit.com is the respected Chronicle of Philanthropy. Advertisement  18 total views,  1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis If you feel like acquiring these two domain names you have until 14 January 2004 07:00:00 PST to make your bid.center_img Non-profit.com domain name up for sale AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving.last_img read more

Minister says ‘no plan’ to extend mid term school closure

first_imgAudioHomepage BannerNews Minister says ‘no plan’ to extend mid term school closure FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows By News Highland – October 11, 2020 Pinterest Google+ Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR DL Debate – 24/05/21 Twitter Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic center_img WhatsApp WhatsApp Facebook A government minister says there’s ‘no plan’ to extend school closures at mid term as part of measures to tackle Covid-19.It had been mentioned at cabinet earlier this week that closing them for two weeks as opposed to one at Halloween could help slow the virus down.Junior Minister at the Department of Education Niall Collins says all of the public health advice shows schools aren’t a major factor in the recent surge.He says extending the mid-term break isn’t on the cards:Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Schools-covid3pm.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Previous articleSinn Fein call for North and South to pool test and traceNext articleDerry consultant says they’re ‘struggling to find beds’ for Covid patients News Highland Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction Pinterest News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Facebook Google+last_img read more

Getting to grips with new technology: A guide to best-practice HR software implementation

first_imgIntroducing new systems can be a challenge for organisations, so what can you do during the implementation to ensure it is a successful change programme?Choosing and implementing new technology can be a daunting process, and chances are you will only have one chance to get it right.It’s important to think ahead during your search and selection stages, ensuring youdon’t underestimate the importance of knowing exactly what to expect during the implementation phase.Personnel Today are hosting a FREE webinar on the 20th of September, sponsored by Cascade HR, which will look at how HR professionals can achieve true transformation when implementing sophisticated HR software.It will advise what you can expect from your business software review, and consider the best ways to approach implementing a new system so that HR, and employees alike, are satisfied with the end result.This free webinar will include a presentation by Pritul Khagram, as well as a live Q&A session where you will be able to submit your questions.Sign up today Comments are closed. #HRTechTrends Previous Article Next Articlecenter_img Related posts:No related photos. Getting to grips with new technology: A guide to best-practice HR software implementationBy Cascade HR on 11 Sep 2017 in PROMOTED CONTENT, Personnel Today, Workforce planninglast_img read more

The “tipping” temperature within Subglacial Lake Ellsworth, West Antarctica and its implications for lake access.

first_imgWe present results from new geophysical data allowing modelling of the water flow within Subglacial Lake Ellsworth (SLE), West Antarctica. Our simulations indicate that this lake has a novel temperature distribution due to significantly thinner ice than other surveyed subglacial lakes. The critical pressure boundary (tipping depth), established from the semi-empirical Equation of State, defines whether the lake’s flow regime is convective or stratified. It passes through SLE and separates different temperature (and flow) regimes on either side of the lake. Our results have implications for the location of proposed access holes into SLE, the choice of which will depend on scientific or operational priorities. If an understanding of subglacial lake water properties and dynamics is the priority, holes are required in a basal freezing area at the North end of the lake. This would be the preferred priority suggested by this paper, requiring temperature and salinity profiles in the water column. A location near the Southern end, where bottom currents are lowest, is optimum for detecting the record of life in the bed sediments; to minimise operational risk and maximise the time span of a bed sediment core, a location close to the middle of the lake, where the basal interface is melting and the lake bed is at its deepest, remains the best choice. Considering potential lake-water salinity and ice-density variations, we estimate the critical tipping depth, separating different temperature regimes within subglacial lakes, to be in about 2900 to 3045 m depth.last_img read more

No plans to cancel or postpone Tokyo 2020 Olympics amid coronavirus outbreak, organizers say

first_img Beau Lund Written by FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailTomohiro Ohsumi/Getty Images(TOKYO) — Organizers for the 2020 Summer Olympics said that preparations for the upcoming event in Tokyo are “continuing as planned,” despite rumors swirling that the games could be canceled or postponed due to an outbreak of the novel coronavirus.When asked about the speculation, the press office for the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee told ABC News that they “have never discussed canceling the Games.”“Countermeasures against infectious diseases constitute an important part of our plans to host a safe and secure Games,” the press office said in an emailed statement on Monday.The newly identified virus, known officially as COVID-19, emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan back in December and has since spread to dozens of other countries, including Japan. More than 87,000 people have been infected worldwide, the vast majority of them in China, and at least 2,873 have died, according to the World Health Organization, which has declared the outbreak a global health emergency and said it has “pandemic potential.”As of Monday, Japan’s Ministry of Health Labor and Welfare had confirmed 254 cases of infection on Japanese soil and six deaths. There have been an additional 705 confirmed cases and six fatalities linked to the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which had been quarantined off Japan’s coast since Feb. 5. All those infected on board were brought ashore for treatment, while the rest of the passengers were confined to their rooms until the quarantine period ended. All remaining guests were cleared to disembark by Feb. 27.To address the health crisis, the Japanese government has established the Novel Coronavirus Response Headquarters, while the Tokyo metropolitan government has set up an internal task force. The Tokyo Olympic organizing committee has also established its own task force.“Tokyo 2020 will continue to collaborate with all relevant organizations which carefully monitor any incidence of infectious diseases,” the organizing committee’s press office said in its statement Monday, “and we will review any countermeasures that may be necessary with all relevant organizations.”The International Olympic Committee told ABC News in an emailed statement on Monday that it remains in touch with the WHO as well as its own medical experts, and that it has “full confidence that the relevant authorities, in particular in Japan and China, will take all the necessary measures to address the situation.”For weeks, there’s been speculation that the viral outbreak could disrupt the Tokyo Olympics, which is slated to start on July 24.Since the first modern games were held in Athens, Greece, in 1896, the international sporting event has only been canceled during times of war. The 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, took place as scheduled despite an outbreak of the Zika virus.Faced with a slew of questions during an interview last Thursday limited to Japanese media, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach reiterated that they are “fully committed to the success of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020,” and he encouraged athletes to “go ahead with full steam with regard to their training and their preparations.” He declined to speculate about a postponement or cancellation in response to Pound’s comments.“I’m not ready to add fuel to the flames of speculation there in any way,” Bach told reporters.ABC News called the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee’s press office on Monday and asked what might happen if the viral outbreak worsens in Japan.The woman on the other end of the line, who only wished to give her name as Hitomi and confirmed she was authorized to speak on behalf of the organizing committee, simply said, “We are not giving answers to ‘what if’ questions.”Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.center_img March 2, 2020 /Sports News – National No plans to cancel or postpone Tokyo 2020 Olympics amid coronavirus outbreak, organizers saylast_img read more

Braun, Messer Agree To Debate; Rokita Declines

first_imgStaff ReportTheStatehouseFile.comINDIANAPOLIS – Republican U.S. Senate candidates Mike Braun and Luke Messer have agreed to debate April 30 in a televised statewide event organized by the independent Indiana Debate Commission.Braun, an auto parts distributor and former state representative, and Messer, a member of Congress, are two of the three candidates on the May 8 ballot. They and U.S. Rep. Todd Rokita are competing to face Democrat Sen. Joe Donnelly in November.Braun and Messer will debate in a studio at public television station WFYI in Indianapolis from 7 to 8 p.m. The debate will be made available to television stations and other news organizations throughout the state.Rokita declined the commission’s invitation to debate. The commission said that Rokita’s campaign manager, Bryan Reed, cited scheduling conflicts and specified that the candidate will participate only in primary debates “organized and moderated by conservative Republicans.”Rokita becomes the first candidate in the commission’s 10-year history to decline to participate in one of its debates. He issued a news release saying he would participate in a debate sponsored by the Allen County Republican Party on April 23.“We are very pleased that two candidates have agreed to this debate, but we are equally disappointed that one has opted to decline,” said IDC President Gerry Lanosga. “A contested primary should be heavily vetted by Hoosier voters and not by partisans, party officials or special interest groups. A neutral option, such as one offered by the Indiana Debate Commission, makes the most sense.”Abdul Hakim-Shabazz, an Indiana politics blogger, radio host and attorney, will moderate. The format has not been determined.Voters will have the opportunity to submit questions that will be considered for the debate. Questions may be submitted through the IDC’s website at www.indianadebatecommission.com starting on a date to be announced later.The commission also will conduct televised debates during the general election campaign season this fall.The Indiana Debate Commission formed in 2007 with the mission of putting voters first by sponsoring and conducting statewide, televised debates among candidates for statewide political office.FOOTNOTE: TheStatehouseFile.com is a news website powered by Franklin College journalism students.FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailSharelast_img read more

CUTHBERT, HELEN (nee: Zebrowski)

first_img100, passed away on March 24, 2018 at Majestic Rehab in Redbank. She was born in Bayonne where she resided for most of her life. She worked in the sales department for the Maidenform Company of Bayonne for 38 years. She was predeceased by her husband William Cuthbert and her brothers Stephen, Edward and Richard Zebrowski. Mother of William and his wife Frances A. Cuthbert. Grandmother of Leonard Pierro. Funeral arrangements by S. FRYCZYNSKI Funeral Home, 32-34 E. 22nd St.last_img

The Revivalists Side Project RumpleSTEELskin Added To Fu*k 2016 Late Night

first_imgBorn from a Jazzfest Jam session, RumpelSTEELskin combines rock and funk with The Revivalists Ed Williams’ amazingly unique vocal-influenced steel guitar. The group will be making an appearance at Howlin’ Wolf during the previously announced Fu*k 2016: A Funky Tribute To Musicians We Lost on Sunday, April 30th, which features members of Turkuaz, Snarky Puppy, The Motet, KDTU, Eric Krasno Band, Allen Stone, and more (get ticket here). Molded by guitarists and soul singers of the 60’s and 70’s, Ed leads a rotating musical force that brings the New Orleans spirit to gospel, rock, and funk pedal steel guitar. Members include George Gekas (The Revivalists) on bass, Michael Girardot (The Revivalists) on keys, and David Shirley (Cardinal Sons) on drums.Initially, Turkuaz’s Michelangelo Carubba, Craig Brodhead, and Shira Elias were named along with The Motet’s Joey Porter, Garrett Sayers, and Lyle Divinsky to explore the music of fallen artists such as Prince, David Bowie, George Michael, Maurice White, Bernie Worrell, Phife Dawg, Leonard Cohen, and many more. As the weeks have passed, Khris Royal of Rebelution, Maurice “Mobetta” Brown of SOUL’D OUT, D. J. Williams of Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe, Danny Mayer of the Eric Krasno Band, Steveland Swatkins from Allen Stone, fellow Turkuaz vocalist Sammi Garett, and Snarky Puppy percussionist Nate Werth have all come on board to fill out the complete lineup.As support to the Fu*k 2016 Tribute, RumpleSTEELskin will open up the evening. The London Souls have also been tapped to play the late-late show over in The Den after the show. It’s going to be a party, that’s for sure.Full Fu*k 2016: A Tribute To Musicians We Lost Lineup: Michelangelo Carubba, Joey Porter, Garrett Sayers, Lyle Divinsky, Craig Brodhead, Shira Elias, Nate Edgar, D. J. Williams, Danny Mayer, Steveland Swatkins, Khris Royal, Maurice “Mobetta” Brown– SHOW INFO –Artist: Fu*k 2016: A Tribute To Musicians We Lost featuring members of Turkuaz and The MotetVenue: Howlin’ Wolf – 907 S. Peters Street – New Orleans, LA 70130Date: Sunday – April 30th, 2017Price: $25adv / $35dosAges: 18+Tickets: Click Herelast_img read more

Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires Welcome Scott Sharrard For “Whipping Post” Encore

first_imgJason Isbell played his second of three nights at the Beacon Theatre last night in New York City. Along with him was his wife, Amanda Shires, and The 400 Unit. The nods to the Allman Brothers Band have been strong throughout both nights of this run already, with covers of “Midnight Rider” and “Whipping Post” hauntingly rocking the beloved theatre that was once home to the ABB every March since the early 2000’s.Last night’s show closed with a guest appearance from Scott Sharrard, the band leader, guitarist, and vocalist from Gregg Allman Band. Sharrard joined Jason Isbell, Amanda Shires, and The 400 Unit for a rocking version of “Whipping Post,” which you can watch below:See below for a full gallery from photographer Andrew Blackstein.Jason Isbell | Beacon Theatre | NYC | 6/23/17 | Photos by Andrew Blackstein Load remaining images Photo: Andrew Blacksteinlast_img read more